Are you interested to become an ecommerce entrepreneur? Are you looking for the tools, framework, open source to start an ecommerce website quickly?
In this article I am going to list out the tools, technologies, programming languages and frameworks used to design an ecommerce website. Designing an ecommerce website and running it successfully needs a complete professional work. Missing on any front may lead failure of the e-commerce website completely.
Programming languages, tools, technologies and open source frameworks to design an ecommerce websites :
There are five well known programming languages to design an successful e-commerce website.
1. Java 2. PHP 3. .Net 4. Ruby On Rails 5. Python
In most of the cases there will be combination of technologies. For example the most of well known e-commerce portals have designed their order page using PHP while for tracking product and other services they are using Java.
1. Java ecommerce open sources frameworks:
Java/J2EE is a well established robust programming language. Java has many excellent commercial and free open source frameworks for an ecommerce website. These frameworks are well supported by web designing companies, developers and freelancers. Java is the recommended language to design large e-commerce websites.
If you are a Java developer you can design your ecommerce website. No doubt to note you and your team need a good team with sound programming experience. For next level like marketing, promotion and management of an ecommerce website you may need one more team.
I will also list out the companies, freelancers and web hosting for designing an ecommerce websites.
These are the popular commercial and free java ecommerce frameworks :
1. Broadleaf Commerce
2. Apache Ofbiz
7. Elastic Path
8. Avetti Commerce
Java technologies you must know to understand Java open source ecommerce frameworks :
You must know Core Java, Servlet, JSP to start with java open source ecommerce frameworks. For full control over your website you should be excellent in Spring (IOC module mainly for many java ecommerce frameworks ), Struts, JSF, ORM, Hibernate, EJB, XML, Database (Oracle, MySql etc.) is required.
Ecommerce websites built in Java are more secured and scalable. A high traffic e-commerce website is good and effective than any other programming languages like PHP and .Net.
2. PHP quick ecommerce scripts, frameworks and open sources :
Designing an ecommerce website in PHP is far easy than Java and .Net. Just sign up for Daily Razor webhosting and with the help of Softaculous you can start a PHP based ecommerce website running in few minutes.
For custom designing you may need to buy a theme or redesign yourself. In other case just for start and you can go with default themes available.
For complete updated list please visit Softaculous PHP based ecommerce quick installer scripts.
List of the PHP ecommerce scripts you will get with Softaculous in Control Panel :
7. Zen Cart
8. Loaded 7
19. Open Source Point of Sale
22. Open eShop
3. ASP Dot .Net ecommerce open source frameworks :
Coming to ecommerce Microsoft frameworks comes to 3rd. Reason is hosting charges. Microsoft charges more for its softwares than Linux or any other operating system. Moreover .Net is not more scalable, platform independent and robust than Java. It is not as easy as PHP. All these reasons are keeping it on third.
List of the ASP Dot Net ecommerce open source frameworks:
1. Virto Commerce Enterprise Open Source eCommerce
4. Suteki Shop
4. Python ecommerce open source frameworks :
These are the popular scripts available for Python. I observed these frameworks and I liked their design.
List of Python ecommerce open source frameworks:
3. Lightning Fast Shop
5. Ruby On Rails ecommerce open source frameworks :
Ruby on Rails are still popular and people prefer Ruby On Rails like other languages. It has less frameworks but they all are well established and having good support.
List of Ruby On Rails ecommerce open source frameworks:
3. RoR ecommerce
4. Spree Commerce
It’s all about the technologies, tools, open source frameworks to design an ecommerce website from scratch.
Recommended Web hosting checks for e-commerce websites :
1. Your web hosting company should support all the the above mentioned technologies (PHP, Java, .Net, Ruby On Rails, Python) or frameworks you have chosen. This case is required in case of freelancers, web developers, small web designing companies. The reason is they may have to design e-commerce websites using any one of these technologies. You may need to change it from one technology to another.
2. For hosting an e-commerce website I would recommend you Daily Razor web hosting. They used to support PHP, Java, .Net, Ruby On Rails, Python and other technologies. They are very customer friendly and adoptive.
3. Hosting an e-commerce website on cloud host providers needs good technical and security knowledge. So you should choose it if you are good at website security management.
So please check below mentioned requirements whenever you are planning to start an e-commerce website or planning to convert you existing retail shop into an e-retail/e-commerce shop for more sales.
1. Good Cart Support.
2. Easy Order Management.
3. Ticketing System for customers.
4. Payment System Integration.
6. Integrated Email Marketing tool.
7. Integrated SEO – Search Engine Optimization features.
8. Save browsing cost.
9. URL friendly feature.
Thanks for reading this article. We will publish some more articles about e-commerce and its related sources.